RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 14:33:51 -0800
below are brief comments on a post by [log in to unmask],

>hmm... yes & no.. I generally find that it is very hard to overeat on raw
>foods - i.e. if I am hungry (i.e. stomach empty) and I eat a banana, I feel
>good, it tastes good.  I might get away with two.  But if I try to eat a
>whole bunch, I start to feel awful and they don't taste as good.  This is my
>body telling me in no uncertain terms that I don't need to eat anything
>right now.   I find there is no inner voice saying "I'm satisfied" but only
>a stomach that growls when it's not.  My chore is learning to eat when it

Minor clarification here. What I was talking about is, when eating, you reach
a point where you are satisfied, that's the inner voice saying to stop. However
as most raw foods are so delicious, there is another inner voice saying, go
ahead and eat more oranges (for example) - they taste great! It is indeed
hard to overeat raw foods, and the consequences of overeating raw foods are
not as bad as cooked/processed foods, but it is possible. I have seen some raw
fooders at the local support group potlucks eat 3 platefuls of food, piled
high. Seems like an awful lot to me...

>How about a different, more logical definition of what is good/bad.  Ask
>yourself, would an animal in the wild come across or eat any quantity of
>fermenting milk or cabbage?  I suspect not, therefore I eat no significant
>quantity of either.  Likewise, I do not see many wild animals with the fancy
>juicers you need to get Ms. Wigmore's famed wheatgrass sprouts, nor do I see
>many humans with the kind of ruminant-like digestive system you need to eat
>wheatgrass.  You can come to your own conclusions of course.

I'm not a fan of fermented foods, and was merely responding to your earlier
inquiry. The big advantage of sprout milk yogurt is that it might give you
some B-vitamins, which are hard to get in most other raw foods. Would an
animal eat fermented food in the wild? If it's hungry enough, and other foods
are not available, it probably would. You, of course, can choose to eat it or
not. Regarding wheatgrass juice, it is an herbal medicine, more than a food.
Many animals, when sick in the wild, chew grass (not just herbivores).

By the way, many animals also eat sprouting seeds (squirrels, other rodents),
many animals also eat shoots - young plants - in the spring. So sprouts and
greens are within the scenario you describe.

Tom Billings