RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 15:39:39 -0800
> Ben says:
>
> Darn!  I've been using the "all-natural crystal" ones in the false hopes that I
> wouldn't be adding more toxic stuff through my armpits.  >;-)
>
> Well, let me just ask this.  If you all know that the deodorants contain toxic
> materials, then what do you use to stay "fresh."  I began an ill-fated "no
> deodorant" experiment about a year ago.....  finally one of my best buddies
> confronted me and said, "Man, you STINK.  You gotta do something about it."
>
> So I was just wondering what those of you who avoid deodorant do to keep from
> stinking to high heaven.

My question is similar.  I've always heard from raw foodists that
after a while on a raw diet, after the major cleansing is done with,
one should not have any odor.  But this was usually said with regard
to a vegetarian raw diet, so I'm wondering if eating meat, even raw
meat, changes that situation.

Personally, I haven't had anyone tell me I stink yet, but maybe I
just don't have buddies as good as Ben's. :)

One thing that does help, certainly, is keeping the underarms
shaved, (though I know many folks aren't into that).  Without
the hair, there's less surface area for the smell-producing
bacteria to hang out on.

Another possibility is making your underarms less bacteria-friendly
by altering the pH.  You could try rinsing, after bathing, with water
that has been acidified with ascorbic acid.  Just how acidic to make
it is up to you.  OR, you could dust your underarms with baking soda.
Not only would that make the environment alkaline, but baking soda is
rumored to absorb odors, so maybe it could do double duty.

Carol