RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carol & David <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 08:23:46 -0800
> Micaela:
> Many foods that are
> >Alkaline in the raw state are acidic after being cooked, and there are very
> >few sources of raw vegan acidic foods  (nuts and seeds are the items that I
> >know of)
>
> Kirt:
> And blueberries if I remember. You may be onto something. I don't know much
> at all about acid/alkaline.
>
> Now that you have given me the reminder, I believe cranberries should be
> added to the list.  I believe Bernard Jensen, said that cranberries were the
> one food that was so acidic that no one should eat them under any condition.

Carol:
I haven't read a whole lot about acid/alkaline, but what I have read
can be divided into two different groups.  There are those who always
write about the pH of the food "as is", while others only talk about
whether a particular food has an acid or alkaline ash.  This ash is
said to correlate with the overall pH effect of a food on the body.
In other words... an acid fruit may have an alkaline ash, making it
an alkalizer of the body.  I don't think I've ever read anyone who
talks about both of these aspects of pH and relates them to each other.
I'd like to.  Any suggestions from anybody out there in e-land?

Also, I've heard it said that the problem with raw foodists getting
too alkaline -- spacey, emotionally fragile, etc. -- is that they
often don't exercize much.  Exercize is an acidifier of the body,
they say (the lactic acid from muscle use, I guess).  Comments?