RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wes Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 02:34:08 -0500
I have a couple of relevant questions that I'd like to ask:

1. According to several sources (that I've read), human mother's milk
contains just 5% of its calories as protein. A human infant grows and
develops rapidly aided by this small amount of protein. As adults, would
it be safe to assume that we need no more than 5% of our daily calories
as protein, and possibly even less (since we're not rapidly growing
anymore)?

Here's a quote from http://www.trufax.org/research/f1.html --

" Scientists who really seem to understand human physiology do not
totally agree on the precise figure for human daily need for protein,
but established scientific research put the figure somewhere between 2%
and 8% of the diet. These figures contain built-in safety margins and
are recommended allowances that are more than adequate for 98% of the
population. [3] Human mothers milk, containing human protein and
antigens, has a maximum of 5% protein. In comparison, bovine (cow) milk
has 15% protein. Rat milk has an astounding 49%.. [4] "

2. A baby's natural diet (mother's milk) is raw. Would it be safe to
assume that if a baby doesn't need to eat cooked food in order to
thrive, then neither should we, as adults?

Thanks,

Wes