RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Hovila <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 02:27:47 -0700
Marjolein,

> I think you're pointing into the right direction. The sprouts I've been
>trying to eat were buckwheat, wheat, garbanzo, aduki, katjang (the small
>green ones) etc. For me it's hard to tell which one causes the problem,

If I were to guess, I'd say the garbanzos are a likely suspect.  You
can try
eliminating them one by one to be sure.

>because I almost always put several foods into one dish. Sometimes I even
>think it's not any particular food that causes the gas, just the fact that
>am eating again with 2 or 3 hours. This gives me the idea I should wait
>longer between meals. Regarding fasting I am a bit hesitant. I don't have
>any knowledge about it. In the message before this one I already indicated
>am taking a lot of food supplements. Should I stop taking these as well
>during fasting? How can you tell the fasting is successful? I am not that
>good (yet) at 'listening' to my body.

I'm no fasting expert, and the experts will probably disagree with
this, but
if you haven't done any extended periods of 100% raw foods and juices,
wouldn't jump into fasting (unless you are dealing with some serious
condition).  Otherwise there is a huge tendency to break the fast with
less
desirable foods.  There are lots of people who eat junk and then try
compensate by doing a fast, then follow that with binging on more
junk.
This makes no sense, in my opinion.  Raw foods and juices are very
cleansing
in themselves.  I'd say get established on a good diet for a few
months or
even a couple of years before considering a fast of more than a day or
two.
And I would also recommend getting some experience with juice fasting
before
attempting a water fast.

I don't take supplements consistently these days, but when I do I only
take
green powders like Dr. Schulze's Superfood, spirulina, powdered
wheatgrass
and barleygrass, etc.  If I am going to put something into my body I
want it
to bear a close resemblance to food, not a laboratory creation.  Read
the
labels on your vitamins and you will notice that most of them, even
the
so-called "natural" ones, do not tell you the source of the vitamins
in any
detail.  I suspect there is a reason for that.  I would definitely not
take
vitamins while fasting, because common sense tells me that these
substances,
if they are any good at all, should be taken as a supplement to the
diet,
not a replacement for it.  Seems like it would mess up your body
chemistry
somehow.  But that's just an uneducated layman's opinion (like all my
other
opinions).

Dr. Gabriel Cousens once suggested I take an enzyme supplement for
digestive/gas problems.  He had me taking a product called Quadrazyme,
believe.  As I recall, it worked pretty well.  Some raw fooders think
if you
are eating any cooked food you should take enzyme supplements before
eating
it.

>About food combinations: do you mean protein / carbohydrates combinations?
>I'd say this wouldn't be that much of an issue with eating raw food, or
>would it? Or do you mean food combinations in general, just finding out
>which foods go easy and which ones do not?

Yes, from what I have read, proteins and starches supposedly don't go
together, and fruits should be eaten alone.  I am not super strict
about
those rules because I seldom have digestive problems anymore, but if I
did I
would definitely minimize these combinations.  I also think it's
important
to give your body a good long rest from food each night -- 12 hours
minimum.

Mark