RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
R J Leong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 14:16:50 -0700
Hi Aaron, Jerry,

I have treated PMS using special diets, acupuncture and/or herbs, usually quite
successfully.  Sometimes I just use herbs.

First, whether or not the fatty acids are responsible for the improvements is
unknown.  In TCM the herbs are taken for their energetic qualities, a set of
properties/categorizations that were developed long before the current scientific
paradigm became useful for identifiying active ingredients and chemical
components that impact human health.  I suggest people do not self-prescribe.
Herbal prescription is complex; I am a bright person, had four years of training
in school, and only after many more years of experience did I think I was
adequately knowledgeable to competently create excellent TCM herbal formulas for
illnesses.

Second, all the reading I have done says that EPA, a type of omega3 fatty acid
comes only from consuming fat fish or some flesh type marine life, or very fresh
sea vegetables (the latter only has small amounts however, and dried, these oils
are destroyed).  Other omega3 fatty acids ARE present in some non-sea plants, but
not EPA.  These fats are used by the body in a number of ways but most
importantly to make prostaglandin (hormone), a chemical item needed in small
amounts for good health.  These fats from fish are plentiful in bass, mackerel,
salmon, tuna and other fat fish.

As far as I know, no research is out on exactly how much is needed for  (1) good
health to prevent deficiency problems; or (2) optimum health.  At least that is
what Udo Erasmus' book clearly states, a fairly recent book.  Apparently, in
relative terms, this nutritional science has not been thoroughly researched, as,
say most vitamins or minerals have been.

regards

roberta

 Jerry: