RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ben Odom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 20:07:22 -0600
>Keep in mind that I've been experimenting with raw, and previously for
>over a year, with raw/cooked. Considering the fact that I'm only 21, and
>that I've been "at this" for well over a year, that's pretty impressive.
>I would think I would know what I'm talking about here, all things
>considered.

Wes,

In the spirit of friendship, let me share a brief story.  Like yourself, I'm
currently 21 years of age, and have been experimenting and studying raw foods
for some time now.  About two years ago, in fact, I started reading/studying a
great deal about nutrition.  Within time, I was introduced to Aajonus
Vonderplanitz' book which unfolded what was for me a new concept:  raw animal
foods.  I read on and on about raw food diets, and became very excited about the
results as I experimented on my own.  Then a while later I joined this list, and
posted with the same enthusiasm that you did.

When I look back at those posts now, I realize that I was being a little
foolish... I took my own personal experience and learning and tried to apply it
to the entire world.  I was so excited by my positive experiences a new-found
knowledge that I posted like a crazed "raw food missionary," trying to convert
everybody to the gospel of raw food according to Ben.  In fact, the funny thing
is, it was with the same group of people (Kirt, JL, Liza, etc.).  From what I
remember, we clashed in a similar way to how you're clashing with them now.

>Is it hard for you (and others on this list) to accept the fact that I
>personally feel better eating all raw?

Absolutely not, Wes.  I too have had very positive experiences with an all-raw
diet, and am very excited about the continued benefits.  There is nothing wrong
with our excitement about raw foods and the positive health benefits they've
brought to us.  And hey, if we feel like debating with everybody on every little
detail of nutrition, that's our right too.  However, I began to realize with
time that I was indeed "preaching to the choir," as Kirt put it.  Just about eve
rybody on this list has had positive experiences and knowledge with raw food,
and are ready to learn more and share experiences.

What we have to realize is that our few years of experience are just a drop in
the bucket on this list; there are decades upon decades of collective experience
in everything from fruitarianism to instincto and everything in-between.  What's
more, the majority of experiences may even be different than that of our own.
Just as you may be offended when they belittle your personal experience, they
too are offended if/when you overlook theirs.

What we have to realize is that there's no one perfect diet for mankind.  Yes, I
agree.... In general it can be agreed (or at least between you and I) that raw,
natural foods are very beneficial.  However, think of all of the different races
of humans who have eaten raw.  Even they differ one from another in their form
of eating.  Can you imagine if an Asian tried to get a Dutchman to eat a
"hundred-year-old egg?"  Or conversely, if a Dutchman tried to convince an Asian
to drink raw kefir?  Both foods are great sources of nutrition and suit each
person well.

I feel like I should stop babbling, but do you see what I'm trying to say?  Kirt
may prefer his coconut milk, and you your egg smoothies, and me my raw filet
mignon.  And hey, it's not the end of the world that we all see things so
differently.  We'll learn from each other as we share our own experiences.

Lastly, I've got to bring this up...  think of all of your friends in your own
personal circle.  Do each one of them see things the way you do with the raw
food?  I can speak for myself and say that most of my friends, while they are
understanding about the way I eat, wouldn't touch a raw steak in a million
years.  And the best part is that we still eat together and get along, and it's
no big deal. I hope you'll find that it's that way on this list too.  Everybody
on the list is great, even though I can guarantee that you won't see eye-to-eye
with every one of them on nutrition.  Hey, that's what this list is for.
Sharing, learning, and agreeing to disagree.

>That can always change of course, as all things in the universe,
>including us, are in a continual state of change. So, even if I were to
>say this is set in stone, it wouldn't mean a whole lot, since even stone
>changes.

Exactly, Wes.  Our opinions will always be changing.  I am looking forward to
hearing about your experiences with raw food in the future.

Friendly regards,

Ben