RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wes Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 15:08:50 -0600
Jean-Louis,

> Examples? Which amino acids, which foods, which cooking temperature
> and how many % reduction?

I'll see about it.

Are you hinting that cooking doesn't alter any amino acids, etc.? Wow, I
guess cooking temperatures are a lot less destructive than I thought.
Maybe cooked eggs ARE a good idea. :) Boy, you're pretty convincing. I
could've sworn this was the "raw-food email list"! Perhaps I'm in the
wrong place?!

Heck, maybe ALL cooked foods are no problem to eat, eh? Since cooking
doesn't alter amino acids and hardly destroys anything (according to you
so far)...

> Remark: apparently, COOKED egg WHITES (without the yolk) have a
> sufficiently good protein value for many bodybuilders. I am not
> expressing any opinion on whether eating high amounts of cooked egg
> whites like that is healthy or not, just saying that if there is any
> protein loss, we can consider it as negligible.

Are you saying that "protein loss" is the only factor involved here?
There are many other factors, even beyond our current understanding as
to what cooked proteins do to the human body. It isn't as simple as
amino acid loss/alteration, vitamin/mineral loss/alteration.

I don't care if people cook and eat cooked egg whites. People cook just
about any/everything. Eggs are no exception. Big deal if they do it, it
doesn't mean it's optimal. In my own experience, RAW eggs feel a lot
better to me than COOKED ones. People don't know what they're doing when
they eat cooked egg whites. They don't see the whole picture. Most
people don't know much, if anything, regarding raw vs. cooked food. Most
of these same people that eat cooked egg whites will also eat pizzas,
use "weight gainer" powders, etc..

I'd like to see how you arrived at the conclusion that it's a good idea
for you to eat cooked eggs. Care to provide any details on this? What's
the ideology/theory behind this? Have you improved upon nature in this
case? Please tell.

So far we've arrived at:

1) You on occasion eat cooked eggs
2) I eat my eggs only raw and whole
3) Some body builders eat raw, whole eggs
4) Some body builders eat cooked egg whites

> Here are a few percentages of protein (by calories). All foods are
> raw.

I think you missed the point: I was talking about BIOLOGICAL VALUE of
proteins. Eggs have the highest biological value (outside of mother's
milk).

> It would prove something if you became obese when replacing raw nuts
> with roasted nuts. Otherwise, I sure can find many people eating
> pizzas and ice-cream and who have a lean body.

Yay for cooked fats eh? This "conversation" just gets more pathetic with
each passing day. I suggest that if you think cooked fats are
beneficial, then eat all of the cooked nuts, pizzas, and whatever else
you want. Let's see how healthy that really is. Body weight and body fat
percentage is only one small piece of the whole. The human body is a lot
more complex than that.

And what's your point in statements such as the above? Are you a cooked
food/SAD proponent or a raw food proponent? Is this a Jekyll/Hyde type
of deal? Do you only talk in favor of raw foods when it will be of
benefit to you, such as say...in an argument with a SAD-eater? And
likewise, you talk in favor of cooked foods when convenient...such as
say, with a 100% raw food eater, such as myself? In other words, you
choose either "Jekyll" or "Hyde" based on what's most convenient to pump
up the ego?

And yay for these people who are lean and eat pizzas and ice cream. I
also used to eat pizzas, ice cream and all kinds of other junk, was lean
(I weigh only about 5 pounds less now as 100% raw as opposed to when I
ate SAD and 100% cooked). Lean doesn't equate to true health. A very
lean guy who used to be a school teacher of mine recently died at age 55
of a heart attack.

I guess the only way to make statements on this list is to provide
"PROOF" for everything. I figured people on here would be bright enough
to realize that cooked fats are harmful. I guess I was wrong in giving
the benefit of the doubt.

I guess people on this list might even want "proof" that the SAD is
bad!!! Heck, if people aren't convinced that cooked meat, cooked fats,
etc. are unhealthy and toxic, then why not go all the way and question
the fact that the SAD is toxic and unhealthy?

Again, am I on the right email list?

> Not "all" that matters, but you can't say taste in not important when
> dealing with food. If you don't like the taste of something, you'll
> tend to eat very little of it, and it might become very difficult or
> even impossible to achieve a balanced diet. Now, of course taste is

You think a cooked egg is better because it "tastes better" as opposed
to that same egg raw, blended with a banana (or whatever). I see that's
your point in eating cooked eggs. "Taste".

> not the only important aspect. I myself have been 100% raw for one year,
> and found that my body can tolerate well SOME cooked foods, but not
> ALL. A soft-boiled egg is OK for me, but not heavily salted foods or
> bakery products, for instance.

I have found I can also tolerate some cooked food. This isn't to say I
felt my best eating it!

And: What if you felt your body could "tolerate well" the aforementioned
heavily salted foods, bakery products, etc.? Many people find they can
"tolerate well" these things, and on a daily basis. So, if you felt no
problem with it, would this be your "proof" that these things are
healthy to eat?

Many people find they can tolerate cigarettes, alcohol, McDonald's,
etc.. Does this mean that these things are the best things to put into
the human organism?

Alcoholics find they can tolerate a LOT of alcohol...

> Webster's:
>      to age = to acquire a desirable quality (as mellowness or ripeness) by
>      standing undisturbed for some time <letting cheese age>

Didn't you know that all meat begins to putrefy within 24 hours after
the animal is killed? This is why the bacteria multiplies, the carcass
attracts flies, and so on.

Road kill doesn't appeal to me. When I see a dead animal laying on the
road, I certainly don't get excited about it and desire to imbibe in
that putrefying flesh.

But to each his/her own.

What's the theory behind this practice? What benefit does one supposedly
derive from this?

> Like you, I was at first put off by the idea of eating raw meat, but once
> you are hooked...

Must be pretty toxic and addictive, huh? ;)

Wes