RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pat Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 14:17:41 -0400 (EDT)
At 12:29 PM 4/20/97 -0400, you wrote:
Bo7b: (what an interesting variation of ---Robert?)

I would agree with Lou that garbage in the sink is unsightly, smelly, and in
the way. But (there's that "but"), but, if we take care of our own garbage,
we take care of our children's tomorrow. Keep a easily uncovered bucket
under the sink (Yes you do have room,put most of the other less seldom used
stuff in a utility closet or car port shelf---a few extra steps now and then
does the heart good. I use a covered one gallon refrigerator water
container)) and plop the organics in it as you go. Dig a nice
1 1/2'x3' hole in the ground not too inconvenient to a door with a bale of
straw near.Lay in  drainage material, about 4".Layer about 4" organics in
it,cover with a layer of straw or leaves, etc. It will take 3 months or so
to get full, as it "uses itself up" quickly. Then dig another hole, and
start again. You WILL have rich compost in the first hole in a year if you
chop stuff up a bit with the shovel and toss a bit of manure, even packaged
manure, on it). Then start another hole--soon as the first hole is luscious
compost, rich and sweet smelling, and raised 8" over ground level for future
settling and drainage. Put your lettuce or carrots etc in it and jump back
out of the way. Use quickly maturing cultivars--many catalogs have them,
Cook's and Seeds of Change, or your Home Depot,etc.Even the longest maturing
vegetables can mature in the short season in Maine (see Elliot Coleman on
"Gardening Naturally", TLC). Just do this once, and eat the result--that's
all I ask of you, and the last complaint Lou will offer. Guar-an-teed.

Pat