RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 1997 13:22:23 -0500
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Don Wiss wrote:
>>Eggs would have only been available for a few weeks in the
>>spring. Fruits may not have been available that early in the season. Then
>>nuts come in the fall. Some fruit would still be available, but later in
>>the fall it would have only been nuts. I would expect that nuts were stored
>>and eaten for a while after being harvested from the tree.

>Does it apply for tropical countries as well, i.e. are a whole category of
>foods (like fruits, or nuts, eggs) available only seasonally?

There are also seasons in the tropics, where the off season is a dry
season. But those of us from Europe had ancestors that left the tropics
some 500,000 years ago.

>Other naive question: how come we can (nowadays) obtain hen eggs all year round?

Chickens are raised in hen houses in which day length is controlled by
artificial lighting - it is day length which stimulates changes in hormonal
profiles which induce ovulation (i.e. egg laying).

Don.