RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 12:25:39 -0400
Martha Seagoe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Subject: OJ/Cider, was Re: Outings....hmmmm... -Reply -Reply

By sticking -Reply at the end, instead of the usual Re: at the beginning,
the posts won't thread properly in the archives. Now maybe Peter and David
plan to edit the archives after the month end, but knowing what they're
going through to get the old archives to be in Listserv format, they may
never want to look at a log file again.

Don Wiss:
>>I thought all frozen orange juice was unpasteurized. All stores sell
>>frozen OJ. Some around here also sell fresh squeezed OJ.
>I'm not sure of the exact definition of 'pasteurized,' but I though the
>frozen stuff was cooked in some way.  I'll be delighted if I'm wrong.
>How do they concentrate it if not by cooking?

Hmm... A good question. I just called the Tropicana 800 number. Yes it is
heated to concentrate it. So I stand corrected. I guess one has to either
squeeze their own, or find the rare place that sells fresh squeezed. For a
while there was a frozen one available that was not a concentrate, but I
don't know if it is still on the market.

>>Here we call it apple cider and I haven't seen any difference in
>>availability.

>I've seen both 'juice' and 'cider' sold in glass jugs unrefrigerated.

I don't see how "cider" can be unrefrigerated. Even when refrigerated it
has a shelf life of less than a week. True cider is nothing but pressed
apples.

> I've asked several suppliers at farmer's market what's the difference, and
>gotten conflicting answers, plus a couple of 'Dunno's.

At my farmer's markets the guy selling is the farmer himself. I'd be
suspicious of anyone not knowing what they were selling.

> We do have a  supplier that claims his juice is unpasteurized,

If it is juice it isn't cider. Don't know what it is, but based on what is
sold in stores little of it comes from apples.

Don.