RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Douglas Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 20:42:52
>From:	Robert W. Avery <[log in to unmask]>

>Also, as you've probably read fromShelton and others, there are digestive
>metabolic adjustments to be made when eating new foods.

This has been fully borne out by more recent work.  I've read animal
& human studies using various sugars as the primary calorie source,
and this is indeed what takes place: it takes the body a little
while to catch up with new foods & manufacture the specific
substances it needs to properly digest & metabolize them.

 >If I've gone for awhile not eating nuts, they aremore likely to raise my
> pulse rate and/or temp than after I've been used
>to eating them regularly.

This is very interesting & would suggest to me that the temp. rise
is not so much from increased metabolism as it is from an immune
response to the high protein levels they contain.  This is just a
hunch.

>Are you aware of Carrington's and Densmore's
>arguments that the foods to which humans are best adapted are
> fruits and nuts only?

I can't buy into a totally fruitarian diet, but think that a largely
fruitarian one may well be correct.  You have to realize that I
filter everything through a filter which relates to what specific
foods might do to lifespan.  I can't figure out precisely what such
a diet should be, but I can tell you that there is no doubt that
protein especially should be restricted, as should fat (as
percentages of total calories).  The relative alkalinity of foods is
something which needs to be considered, & I think vegetables may
have a lot to offer in this regard.  The various sugars in foods
also needs to be considered, but I would not want to flat out state
which sugar should predominate.  A common misconception is that
fruits contain only fructose, but actually it is sometimes in the
minority (or not even present), depending upon the fruit.  Gorillas
eat about 2/3rds vegetables, 1/3rd fruits, while in chimps the
percentages are reversed (& chimps have a bad habit of eating meat).
I'm skeptical of any claims that straight fruitarianism is the
correct course, & I'm also skeptical about whether any one diet is
best for every human.  I think body temp. is about the best way to
figure this out for yourself, and I like Robert's observations about
how nuts raise his.

> Dr. Edward Howell's theories too.  Have you read any of him?

No. Can you go into his ideas and/or suggest titles?

--Doug Schwartz