RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Douglas Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 18:33:37
Meredith,

Bob Avery just asked me this when he got into a debate on another
list:

>>I hope you're going to tell me no odors from the cat.

And I responded:

>Absolutely, no cat breath at all, & the only time I ever even smell
>anything on her breath is when she eats cucumbers, so that should
>tell you something.  (Believe me, I would notice as since I'm not
>really into heating during the winter, she pokes me in the face
>with a paw until I let her in under the bedcovers each night.)  No
>flaking skin or any fur problems.  I would assume that people
>allergic to cats would have no problem with a cat such as her.  I'm
>not really up on what cooked litterboxes smell like, but I can't
>say that there is no odor in hers.  I would guess that it is far
>less-objectionable than from a cat who has been eating canned fish,
>etc.  BTW, her stats. are age 6, ~4 lbs., very petite & skinny,
>could pass for a kitten.

If you put the urinary tract infected cat on 100% she/he should be
fine.  Mine gets some raw milk every week, but even though there is
no doubt she is primarily a raw carnivore by nature, I have no doubt
that the excessive protein that goes along with this is only going
to shorten her life.  Bear in mind that most domestic dogs are
vegetarians anyhow if their dog food is grain-based.  I can't see
where cats would have much more of a protein requirement than we do.
My cat is almost 100% raw, mostly vegetarian, calorically & protein
restricted to extend her life.  [Except today when she got a little
leftover dead bird, so now she thinks I may be a good guy.]  She
also fasts (did a 10 day one last winter).  You should probably
place them both on a fast for a few days & then switch them over to
100% raw.  Cats & dogs are pretty easy to switch over if you fast
them first to get a true appetite going, & they serve as good role
models to emulate once they get into it.

Each pet will have different tastes, but some suggestions:
coconut, most nuts, grapes, strawberries, sprouts (especially
legumes) corn, cucumbers & others of the squashes, melons,
persimmons, papaya, mango, cherimoya, cactus pear, potatoes,
tomatoes & peppers.  Some of these should be minced since carnivores
don't have the molars we do. Don't worry if they get real skinny,
this is all relative & you would be surprised how real low their
weight can go.

Does anybody know if Health Research is still publishing out in
California, as they put out a book on hygienically raising pets
years ago.  Does the ANHS have anything on this?

If Pottenger would have also tried a raw-veg regime on his cats, I
think he would have gotten some amazing results.  I hope that I can
get 30 years out of mine from the various things she is on.

--Doug Schwartz