RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Janis Callen Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 22:50:34 -0500
Apologies to whoever asked for more info about garlic. I typed a long
detailed reply, hit the send key, heard a wierd buzzing and suddenly my
computer stopped working and couldn't be rebooted.  So I suppose the message
never went, and I lost all of the mail I'd downloaded that day.  Sorry for
the late, and much less detailed reply.

Bob Beck, inventor of the blood electrification device and magnetic pulser
that have been discussed on this list under the heading "herpes", states
categorically that garlic kills brain cells and is a neurotoxin.  I haven't
checked into the research literature on this to see what merit there may be.
His claim is that when he was an airline pilot in the military they were
prohibited from eating garlic as they were told it was bad for the brain --
and he refers to the existence of studies-- but I've often wondered whether
the reason was to keep the co-pilot from being miserable because of the odor
! :-)  I have two additional bits of supporting info:  a health filmaker who
interviewed me about my experiences with the Beck equipment said that there
are studies confirming the neurotoxic effects of garlic on brain cells (as
well as of goldenseal).  Small amounts are probably fine, but with the blood
electrification comes electroporation which increases the permeability of
cell membranes 20 - 30 fold so one has to be careful to avoid anything
potentially toxic.  A naturopath/homeopath/nutritionist I know came back
from a conference in which information was presented about the problems with
cystein crossing the blood-brain barrier which could be prevented by taking
high amounts of leucine at the same time, about 4x the amount.  She said
that cystein was found in garlic.  And the whey protein such as "Whey to Go"
was apparently good to take along with garlic.  I think the producer of the
protein did this study, though.  Sorry I don't have any details.

Hope someone is inspired to search on garlic at a medical library and report
back if there are really any studies on its neurotoxic effects.  I'd be
thrilled to have some real evidence.

Janis