RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Martha Seagoe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 03 Apr 1996 08:52:50 -0800
From: Michele Reel <[log in to unmask]>

>Could you post your pesto recipe?  I've never made it so don't even
>know the basic recipe!

Oh, well, heh heh (blush), now I'm forced to admit I don't actually use a
recipe.  I just remember how to make it from a cooking class.  You can
experiment with the following guidelines:

2 handfuls each of basil leaves and spinach leaves (traditional recipe
uses equivalent amount of basil leaves only)
1 clove garlic (or more if you really like garlicky food!)
--pulverize in a food processor with metal blade until finely chopped
pine nuts (pignolias) to taste (here's where my recipe breaks down - I
throw in what looks right to me - I'm guessing it's about 1/4 cup
--process some more until you see only tiny specks of pine nuts.
olive oil added SLOWLY through the little dripper hole in the food
processor tamper while processor is going.  Add until pesto begins to
get a pasty consistency.
VOILA!
Keeps in fridge in sealed container for about 3 - 4 weeks.
To my taste, using 100% basil is too strong tasting, plus costs a lot more!