RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Martha Seagoe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 96 11:00:56 PST
Doug wrote:
> Anorexics are not usually interested in what we call CRAN
> (calroic restriction with adequate nutrition).  They also binge
> & barf & may die (e.g. Karen Carpenter) from messing up their
> hearts (I believe) from inadequate fats, etc.
> Anorexia is a disorder (generally associated with real low
> self-esteem), while CR is a health-seeking mode.  In practice
> the two may share some things in common, but in other ways they
> are polar opposites.  I'm searching for the right way to answer
> this question, & this is the best I can think of at the moment.

Hi Doug,
Granted that some anorexics are also bulemic, and that anorexia
nervosa arises from a motive that is worlds apart from that of calorie
restricers.
I was just wondering how one would tell if they were taking calorie
restriction too far.  Given that there is some minimum caloric
requirement for a body, how would its owner know if it was being met?
If some undesireable symptom arose, would the calorie restrictor be
able to tell if it was a symptom of anorexia (starving), or deep detox, or
some other cause?
I suppose if I read the CRsociety list I would already know the answer
to this.  Alas, so many lists, so little time.....

Cheers,
Martha