RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 26 May 1995 08:18:59 -0700
oats and sesame seeds can be sprouted using the jar or cloth methods. Soak
seeds overnight, then allow to sprout in cloth or jar; I let oats sprout
1.25-1.5 days; sesame seeds generally only one day.

Regarding sesame seeds: use only unhulled sesame seeds; hulled won't sprout
although you can simply soak hulled seeds overnight then eat. Sesame seed
sprouts get bitter quickly, even in refrigerator. Recommend that sprouting
+ refrigeration time total be 1.5 days or less (2.0 days maximum), to
avoid bitterness. (There is a black sesame seed, but have only found
it hulled - can't find it unhulled/sproutable). One other note on sesame
seeds - I tried an "unusual" combination of tastes and found it really nice:
add 1 heaping teaspoon of whole coriander seed to 1/3 or 1/4 cup of dry
sesame seeds, then soak and sprout as usual (coriander won't sprout, but
will swell up; coriander seeds are in their hulls). Then eat with a bit of
raw honey - unusual, but very nice  (Ayurveda says coriander seeds are good
for the eyes and a digestive aid; they have a mild flavor).

Regarding oats, only unhulled oats will sprout. So called "whole oats" are
hulled and won't sprout (you can soak them overnight). The hull is thick
and makes eating the sprouted oats difficult. The best use I have found for
sprouted oats is to grind them up with water to make sprout milk (and filter
through sieve to remove hulls).  My source for organic oats is Jaffe Bros.,
a mail-order firm in California; they also carry unhulled brown sesame seeds.
I am working on making yogurt from oat sprout milk but don't have what I
consider a good recipe yet - will continue experimenting on that.

I wrote a handout on oat sprout milk, and also a handout on sprouting (the
sprouting handout discusses oats, sesame, and many other seeds; it includes
an updated milk recipe for oat-almond-rice sprout milk). Anyway, thanks to
David Mayne, these handouts are available via anonymous ftp. I also wrote
a handout on nuts (which nuts are really raw?) as well and you might want to
get a copy of that if/when you retrieve the other handouts via ftp. I have
taken the liberty of attaching an edited copy of the announcement regarding
the ftp archives, below.

P.S. In case anyone is interested in sprouting rice, the sprout
handout discusses that also.

Tom Billings