RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 1 May 1996 19:22:44 -0700
After some thought, I have decided to terminate my participation in this
list, and to unsubscribe. I have posted here for some time; the motive
for my posting was to provide information on raw foods and related issues,
and to do so in a positive or neutral manner. It is my belief that my posts
achieved that goal, although I openly admit slipping a few times and making
a few posts that had a negative tone. I do not follow one specific raw food
philosophy; instead my approach is a combination of styles. All the different
approaches have both good points and bad points. We, as raw fooders, can
and should pick and choose those things from the different approaches, that
work for us, in a positive manner. I hope that my posts have given others some
new ideas, new approaches, to consider and experiment with.

Note: All the material below is in my opinion.

Because I try to present information in a positive way, I am dismayed that
some of the followups to my postings are, in my opinion, highly negative. These
negative followups detract from, and, in my opinion, neutralize, my efforts
to present positive information. Thus I feel that my efforts in veg-raw are
not productive, and my continued participation is not appropriate. Also, I
am behind on an important project and really need to devote my full attention
to that. Staying in veg-raw would not be a good idea, as there might be add'l
negative postings that I would want to respond to.

So, in order to preserve my peace of mind, and to remove a source of material
for negative followup postings (thereby protecting others from mental
toxicity), I have decided to leave this forum. I would like to make a few
closing remarks, on threads recently discussed in my posts and those of others:

* the theory that protein is toxic is logically invalid, false, irrational,
absurd, and without any merit whatsoever. Yes, excess protein is bad - but so is
excess sugar, excess fruit, excess of any food. You can follow a mono-diet
of *only* protein foods, and be very healthy indeed! You can live on only
sprouts (i.e. 100% protein food), and be very healthy also!

* the hatred of protein and/or the fear of mucus are NOT a reasonable basis
for a diet. It is OK to avoid food if it creates mucus; it is not OK to fear
or hate that food.

* fear and hate can be, and often are, the basis of an eating disorder - a
serious mental illness. In my opinion, to make hatred of protein the basis
of your diet is to place hatred at the center of your life. Is that a good
idea? Does hatred promote true mental health?

* protein is not toxic, but hatred (the hatred of protein) is mentally toxic.

* regarding 100% fruit diets. I personally know 3 people who followed such a
diet for a long time, and I know of a 4th person (via said person's writings),
who followed this diet. I am one of the 3, so I have direct experience in this
matter. It is my opinion that all 4 of these people showed/show signs of serious
mental illness (anorexia) and/or insanity, during the time of the 100% fruit
diet. Because of this, I am of the opinion that a 100% fruit diet, if followed
for a long enough time, is dangerous to your mental health. (I have recovered
from the mental problems I had, some of the others are not so lucky).

I want to thank the many positive readers and posters of veg-raw, for their
questions and insightful remarks/comments on my postings. Your interest and
kindness are greatly appreciated!

P.S. 1) Special thanks to Michael Clingman for running veg-raw.
2) As I am unsubscribing, I won't see any followups. Please ignore any hostile
folllowups to this or any of my other posts.

With sincere thanks to all the *positive* veg-raw readers and posters, I hope
your future is free of negative, toxic postings...

Tom Billings