RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pat Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 22:16:18 -0500 (EST)
Hello, Tom:

>LEGUME SPROUTS - FRIEND OR FOE?

>A closing remark. If you decide that large beans and/or legumes are not for
you, there are many other grains, seeds, nuts that you can sprout.
>P.S. sprouted mung beans are a regular part of my diet; other legumes I eat
>only rarely.
>
>Tom Billings

Tom, I read in three chinese cook books that raw mung beans should be
quickly stir fried for the sake of detoxing them.Y'all are teaching me about
phytic acids and so forth.(I love chinese stir-fry, and that's present
tense, sorry..ahem, hardly warmed at all, you know, just sorta brightened up
and---oh, I lie. I told the truth the first time--I love it, with my own
fresh veg--I do cook it quite quickly, and who knows what will happen as I
am accepting, challenging, experimenting--perhaps in the end I will just
wave the wok over the flame, intone a respectful ave, and eat the veg which
are already on the plate!
Anyhoo, I find them offensive raw, and harder to sprout successfully than
other Sproutman seed.  Have you tips for avoiding the decomposition which is
hard to forestall before sprouting is complete?All my other sprouting is
successful (haven't done nuts yet.Like raw nuts as is. I use the basket or
the jar method, depending on pure science--and/or mood. Not quite getting
what I see at market.Could be affecting my taste test, hmmm?

Pat