RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert W. Avery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 03:34:40 EST
We're all blushing profusely, Traci!

Be sure and get ahold of Herbert Shelton's book, "The Science & Fine Art
of Fasting."  All sorts of weird transient symptoms can occur during a
fast (but might not).  It's comforting to know ahead of time that these
weird symptoms are normal, that you are not dying, and that there's
nothing to be afraid of.  When I took my initial 11-day fast 4 years ago,
I kept a copy of that book at my bedside as a reference, and used it to
look up anything I was uncertain about.  It turns out I was in good
company.  Ghandi did the same thing (had Shelton's book at his bedside)
back in India during all of his famous "political" fasts, the sly devil.
While the British and internally bickering Indians were caving in to his
every demand, hoping to prevent his becoming a martyr, he was busily
improving his health, secure in the  knowledge that he was in no physical
danger whatsoever.

Diluting the juice is not necessary, but yes for the reasons you cite:
less jolt to the blood sugar, less interference with the fasting
mechanism.  If you intend to make more juice than you will drink at one
time, I recommend only diluting what you are drinking now, not the whole
batch.  I've noticed that diluted juice spoils faster in the fridge.
I've also taken the unusual approach of adding powdered vitamin C
crystals (about 1-2 grams per pint) to juice that will sit in the fridge
for awhile.  For me, it will keep a week this way; otherwise it goes bad
in 2 days.  Lemon juice and honey is a classic way to "fast," though,
which requires no juicing machine.  Just squeeze a lemon into a glass,
remove the seeds, add water and a Tbsp of honey.  But my favorite way now
to ease into a true fast is 50% carrot, 25% beet, 25% greens for a few
days, gradually tapering off into pure water only.

Your cyberhug felt good; here's one back!