RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellie Rotunno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 00:33:49 -0800

you wrote:
> >But it would be more efficient and require less engery to have a well balanced supply
> >of glucose, fats and amino acids at all times.

> That's exactly what I doubt. Mixed meals require more energy to digest  IMHO.

Perhaps they do, but I wonder if the overall expenditure of energy is
benefited by not mixing nutrients. I would think that when food is eaten
raw and contains its own digestive enzymes, that mixing different foods
would not require much more energy. After assimilation on the cellular
level, when the body has to convert amino acids or fatty acids into
glucose, or glucose into fat, etc. all of these biochemical reations
require more energy than would be needed to utilize the specific nutrient
as is. Also a mix would assure all the cofactors are available, like the
vitamins in fruits and veggies that might be essential for the use of
amino acids in building protein, for example. Remember the finding that
primates who eat meat, often wrap it in a green leaf and wad it. Perhaps
some of our ancestors gathered some greens while others made a kill, and
they got together for a big feast. I'm cetainly speculating and could be
wrong.

My best, Ellie