Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 08:25:27 -0600
At 08:34 AM 04/12/2000 , Demetri Kolokotronis wrote:
>I have seen web addresses listed
>
>http://www.domain.com
>http://domain.com
>www.domain.com
>http://www.domain.com/
>
>Make any difference entering in Internet Explorer Address bar?

Does it make a difference?   It depends upon the system administrator
servicing the domain.

The web browser, either Netscape or Internet Explorer does not require
the http://  extension to be typed into the address bar.  This is the default
protocol for a web browser, remember that HTTP and FTP are the two
major download protocols of the Internet and FTP://  also works in your
web browser.   These two protocols are used to download data across the
Internet, but HTTP is the default for a web browser and the assumed
protocol when you type in a web address for either a domain, web page
or file.  So, it is not necessary to be added.

Now, about the WWW pre-extension.  This has nothing to do with the
way in which a DOMAIN is registered with Internic, but about how it is
setup by the System Administrator for the server hosting the domain.

The Internet only knows through the DNS system, (Domain Name System),
the site of where the Domain is located, physically located on the
Internet, the DNS server that controls the domain, for this discussion we will
use NOSPIN.COM.  The system administrator  can assign any sub-domain
naming scheme to the domain, but these are typical:

WWW.NOSPIN.COM  points to the web server
FTP.NOSPIN.COM points to the ftp server
MAIL.NOSPIN.COM points to the mail server
NEWS.NOSPIN.COM points to the USENET news server

NOSPIN.COM can be pointed to any or none of these servers, based on the
decision of the System Administrator in charge of the Domain.   We have been
pointing NOSPIN.COM to our web server for about five years now and we
have noticed that it is becoming a more popular domain configuration these
days.

So, in our case:  http://nospin.com points to our web server, but that is determined
by the System Administrator and the way our DNS server ALIASES our DOMAIN.

So...  the final answer is:

HTTP://  is not required by Internet Explorer.   The WWW  sub-domain prefix
may or may not be required to open a web site, depending upon way the web
site is setup.  If you try going to a web site with just the DOMAIN, such as
NOSPIN.ORG and it does not work, then add in the WWW, to:
    www.nospin.org  and that should take you to the web server for that domain.

I know this is simplistic, but for this discussion I hope it explains the issues involved.

      Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>