Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 19:54:27 EDT
In a message dated 05/21/2002 2:36:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Try plugging your turntable directly into the IN Jack. You don't need to go
> through your amplifier because the soundcard acts as a preamp. Plugging in
> directly should also make for a cleaner signal, ... and recording.
>
> Rode
> The NOSPIN Group
>
> >I seem to have set a switch that makes the system ignore input which I
> >think is coming from the LINE-IN port on my soundcard ( Creative
> >Soundblaster PCI-512). As the system was working correctly two days ago, I
> >would appreciate advice about what I might have done.  The 'volume
> >control' settings in the Control Panel's 'sounds and multimedia' look ok
> >--- I am using Windows 2000.
> >
> >(I'm trying to transfer vinyl lp's to the hard disk. A transcription
> >turntable (Shure magnetic cartridge) feeds the record input jack of a
> >stereo amplifier; the tape output is the input to the computer's LINE-IN
> jack.)
> >
> >Eric Tanenbaum

Hi,
  You should NOT plug the turntable directly into the soundcard, as a moving
magnet phono cartridge only outputs a signal of a few millivolts (moving coil
types have even less output), not the 1-2 volts of signal a typical "line
level" signal has.
 Using a microphone input on the soundcard would be better, level-wise,
BUT...phono inputs on a stereo have RIAA eqalization (Recording Industry
Association of America), to make the frequency response correct. Records are
recorded with the bass frequencies greatly reduced in amplitude, to reduce
the maximum deflection in the groove, allowing the cartridge to track it
better, and also to fit the grooves closer together, thereby allowing more
recording time per album side. The RIAA equalization boosts the low
frequencies back to the proper level to give a flat frequency response.

Just my .02 worth,
Peter Hogan

PS, If interested, you can see what the RIAA equalization curve looks like
here, (it is FAR from flat!!):
http://www.audioamps.com/technotes/note002eq/RIAA/data/RIAA-EIC.pdf

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>