From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 06:30:30 -0600
At 02:15 PM 05/31/2000 , you wrote:
>I have an older Micron PC90.  I upgraded to Win98SE and it later said
>that
>Windows was corrupted and I need to reinstall it.  I tried to do that
>but now it
>won't boot from the floppy or the hard drive.  I can use the boot disk
>that came
>with the computer and get into it but can't do anything but look.  I
>called a
>repair shop and they said that there was no way for me to get into it
>and go
>back to Win95 that I should bring it in and they would save my data,
>reformat
>the hard drive and re install Win95.  If they can do it, why can't I?
>     Wanda

There is no special magic that your repair shop is bringing to the table
to repair your PC, except their expertise.   When you state that it will
boot from a Windows95 floppy, but not from your Windows98SE floppy
then you have a problem with the Windows98SE floppy.  It may have
become corrupted during the install, (this is not uncommon).

The first thing you need to do is replace this boot disk.  The ideal way
to do this is to create one from another PC using Windows98SE, a friends
machine or another you have available.   Other wise you will need to download
a replacement disk, (not always the easiest).

You can download a replacement from these sites:
     http://support.micronpc.com/file_lib/boot.html
     http://www.bootdisk.com

Once you can boot with the proper boot disk, then you can begin to do
diagnostics on your hard drive.   Why is it important to have the right
boot disk for the operating system on the hard drive?   Cross platform
repairs on a system, repairing a Windows98SE install with a Win95 boot
disk will cause problems with Windows98 in that is can install files that
will keep it from booting such as the wrong Command.com file, which
can cause what you have reported...

      Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: