From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 12:38:59 -0700
At 12:01 PM 03/16/2000 , Philip Janus wrote:
>I just put a new VA6 motherboard in my PC with Win2k, and nothing is working
>right. Here are the symptoms:
>
>1) Integrated sound refused to work. Drivers installed fine, but hardware
>manager would then simply indicate "this device cannot start"; no
>troubleshooting possible. Various drivers yielded the same result.
>2) Disabled integrated sound, put in SB16 ISA Plug n' Play sound card.
>Drivers install fine (standard Win2k drivers), but audio has clicking (IRQ
>conflict?). Fiddling with IRQ's gets rid of clicking, but creates gaps in
>playback (memory or DMA conflict?). Still no indication of conflicts in the
>hardware manager.
>3) Hauppauge WinTV card - drivers install fine, application simply locks up
>computer on boot. This card is the epitome of hardware stability - I've used
>it through Win95, 98, NT4, and Win2k RC2 - they've always had great drivers
>and I've never had an issue with the card. Their tech support said no
>widespread complaints from Win2k users, so probably a hardware conflict on
>my side.
>
>Latest BIOS installed...
>
>If I have what sounds like rampant resource allocation issues, does that
>most likely indicate a flaky motherboard?

It does sound like a faulty motherboard.  I know you have been around PCBUILD
for a very long time, so I am assuming you have done a complete IRQ
assessment on the board.  I would appreciate seeing the IRQ layout
Windows2000 is using for your hardware, since this does sound like a
resource issue.   Could you post that or send it to me privately?

One thing I would do is assign IRQ5 to Legacy ISA in the Bios/CMOS to assure
it went to the SB16 card.  Then manually assign IRQs to other I/O cards
to insure you have proper control before Win2000 gets ahold of the resources.

ABIT boards seem to do far better when you manually assign IRQ resources
in the CMOS, or so we have found in testing them.

       Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org