From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 22:07:42 -0500
From: "Robin Kiomento" :Sent: Friday, April 06, 2001 8:37 AM
Subject: [PCBUILD] PC freezing up when I go to restart my machine

> I am using Windows 98 and when I go to restart my machine it always freezes up at the Windows 98 screen, getting ready to shutdown.
> What settings do I need to change to stop this?

Robin,

This is one of the common shutdown problems with Win98 and Win98SE.  Some of the things that you can check for are:

Norton Antivirus has been known to cause problems with Win98 when the Auto Protect feature is enabled, disable Auto-Protect and update Liveupdate.
If this doesn't fix the problem you can delete the following key from the
registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\control\Shutdown\Exclusion List
Symantec has a support article on this:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/19987311083

2. There is a problem in Win98 with shutting down,  check out this
Microsoft KB article to disable fast shutdown:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q196/0/08.asp

3.Another item that can cause shutdown to hang is corrupted shutdown
bitmaps, or a corrupted exit sound files.

4. http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q193/4/73.asp: Win98 hangs when if it contains an IDE hard disk using DMA

5.  Microsoft recommends a bios upgrade or driver upgrade to fix this
problem.  They have a site that will help to diagnose the problem with APM:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/tshoot/apm98/apmnowake1.asp

Hope one of these helps.

Mary Wolden