From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:00:16 GMT
Jim,

I have the same problem.  When I first loaded 95 on my machine I would get
an acurate modem rate.  After about a month, I would get an acurate rate on
occasion, and the 115 rate all other times.  Another couple months along and
I would always read 115, even with a monitoring problem.  How did I fix it?
Windows 98.

Kyle

>From: jim <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: [PCBUILD] determining connection speed problem
>Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 00:03:19 -0500
>
>hi, nospin group.  i am seeking help for the following situation:
>
>  i recently made a gift of my computer (pentium 90, win 95A, 56K v90
>modem) to a friend as i built a new computer for myself.  my friend
>tells me when he checks the modem connect speed by putting the mouse on
>the icon in the tray, it shows 115K.  i had him install "system
>monitor"  from the windows 95 cd, but the monitor also shows that high
>speed. over the years i used the computer it always read 26.4 or 28.8.
>he hasn't changed  anything or added any programs.  don't know why he
>gets the internal  reading, and i wonder if anyone in the group has any
>suggestions on how  it can be re-set so it reads the more accurate
>(relative) connection speed over the phone line.  we're trying to
>determine if it would be worth his while to buy a new modem to achieve a
>faster connect speed.

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org