From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 08:33:27 -0400
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.

Actually there are two separate but related issues here.
First there is the speed of the connection between you and your service
provider (which remains constant for the current connection).  Then there is
the OVERALL speed (throughput/bandwidth) from you to any site on the
internet (which can vary widely).

It is extremely rare that you will ever make a connection directly from you
to your ISP to a web site.  There are always "relay stations" (routers)
along the path that can (and will) affect the overall speed.

A web based measuring system such as those mentioned, will only give you an
indication of how fast you can transfer data to and from that ONE SITE. It
has no way of measuring speed (or anything) for a PORTION of the pathway
(like from you to your ISP) or to any other web site.

Since the overall speed is limited by the slowest router along the path to
that ONE CONNECTION, each time you change to a different web site, you will
most likely see a (slightly?) different speed.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====