From:
Jeremy Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 06:56:41 -0700
I have been using the 486 for about a week now, previously I was using a
233mhz.  I thought there might be a speed loss, but so far it seems to be
working fine.  Like I said, I have only had a week, but I seem to be
getting perfectly good throughput on the few tests I have had time to run.
It is a more "top of the line" 486, with pci-slots for my nic card, 40mb
RAM (16 should have worked, but RH 7.3 wont let me install without 32 for
some reason, if you cant get above 16 try installing RH 7.0, but you
will have to use ipchains instead of iptables), and a 60mhz
CPU.  The modem I am using seems to be a pretty good quality 56k modem.
With some carefull selection I was able to get the install under 650
MB.  Some other distros may be better if harddisk space is an issue.
btw, I also use that machine's extra hdd space for an ftp server so I can
transfer files between computers without a shared drive.