Date:
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:17:10 -0700
I just got 256k DSL day before yesterday.  I have Win98SE.
I can't see much, if any, difference in speed for surfing
with it over dialup.  Pictures upload and download faster,
but pages don't seem to open any faster.  I still wait as
they 'paint' the screen.  I have done a disk cleanup, virus
scan and spybot and
that didn't help.  Any suggestions?

Do you just unplug the DSL from the port to do Scan Disk and
Defrag?  (I don't want to disable Zone Alarm and Avast while
I'm connected and Scan Disk won't run with them running in
the background.)

I don't have an ethernet port, so it's connected via USB
port in the front of the box.  Could this cause problems
with Win98SE.....make it more unstable?  (It's already very
unstable anyway.)

The first time I opened Favorites this morning, there were
links to my various Program files listed as Favorites!
(Just ran a virus scan and Spyware scan - no virus, and no
spyware detected.)  This is the kind of thing that causes me
to say it's unstable.  Things changing like that, as well as
freezing up and crashes. (Which seem to have increased since
getting
the DSL.)

I'm also getting a window every time I boot that asks for my
user name and password for networking.  Can I disable that?
AND, suddenly I'm being asked for my user name and password
every time I try to do anything in Outlook Express.  (Just
started today, and it's the 3rd day on DSL.)
Carol Hanson

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads