From:
Jan Lambert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:21:48 -0700
In <[log in to unmask]>, on 08/27/99
   at 12:03 AM, jim <[log in to unmask]> said:

>hi, nospin group.  i am seeking help for the following situation:

> i recently made a gift of my computer (pentium 90, win 95A, 56K
>v90 modem) to a friend as i built a new computer for myself.  my
>friend tells me when he checks the modem connect speed by putting
>the mouse on the icon in the tray, it shows 115K.  i had him
>install "system monitor"  from the windows 95 cd, but the monitor
>also shows that high speed. over the years i used the computer it
>always read 26.4 or 28.8. he hasn't changed  anything or added
>any programs.  don't know why he gets the internal  reading, and
>i wonder if anyone in the group has any suggestions on how  it
>can be re-set so it reads the more accurate (relative) connection
>speed over the phone line.  we're trying to determine if it would
>be worth his while to buy a new modem to achieve a faster connect
>speed.

> thanks.  jim wishner/minnesota

To check whether a new modem will help, have your friend use a
terminal program like Procomm to call USR's test line. You can get
the current number from thier website at http://www.usr.com. As a
rule of thumb, if he is within 1.5 miles of the central office,
and is consistantly connecting at 28.8 or better (33.6K modem)
there is a good chace a V.90 will boost his connection to over
40K. If he's connecting at 26.4 consistantly and his current modem
is of decent quality, then it's dubious that the phone line will
support V90. You do not need a fast modem to use the USR test.

good luck,
jan lambert

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html