From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 2005 10:35:26 -0800
On 3 Dec 2005 at 8:16, Venkat Viswanathan wrote:

> Hi, all members,
>
> my "C" drive has only 182MB free out of total 2.2GB. but my "D" drive
> has 1.0GB free out of total 1.8GB. ( six year old quantum
> fireball(4gigs) which came with what was an HP machine)
>
> whenever I try to download a large utility like knoppix live cd to
> folder "downloads" in "D",  after about 150 MB up comes a window, "
> you are out of disc space, pl free up...." and the best i can do is
> free up IE temp. files.
>
> it does not seem to help because though the download process seem to
> be going ok at the end I land up with only about 200 MB out of a total
> size of about 700MB.
>
> Is this because of some fault (broken download)in the download site
> chosen by me or is it that I should have all the necessary space in
> "C" drive itself?
>
> I have another 120 gb drive (new) so I can always download there but I
> wish to have some understanding of the situation.
>
> any input will be greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA and wishing all a very good day---Venkat
>
> I have another drive of 120 GB

  Browser downloads -- at least with IE -- go first into that Temporary
Files folder, and are not copied to their final destination until the
download completes.  That's why you're getting the warning at about 150 MB
and topping out around 200.

  I would use Partition Magic to copy your current drives to two partitions
on the 120 GB drive (and expand them to at least 40 GB each), and remove the
two small drives.  All of my drives less than about 18 GB now live in
removable trays or USB enclosures, and only get used to move large data
volumes from one machine to another.

David Gillett