From:
Jun Qian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 23:12:59 +1000
I build computers with win98se (OEM full version). Here is my exp with
win98se:

Advantage:
1) fixed some bugs, specialy when work with old hardware drivers, I found
that SE is much stable and more compatible with old staff (eg. some video
drivers are only designed for win95, the result to use 'em under win98 may
cause trouble, well SE handles this situation much better then normal
win98)
2) SE updated few devices drivers which were reported buggy when with the
first win98 (eg. RTL8029AS based network card)
3) Saved lot of time - you don't have to download win98 service pack and
other fixes

Disadvantage:
1) some software are not compatible with SE, I had trouble to install
costomer's software to SE, they work fine under win95, works ok under the
first win98 (but with small problems), crash under SE.
2) for god knows reason, few hardware don't like SE, however you can
install win98 first, then download/install fix from internet without
problems.

J Qian

Frank Suszka wrote:

> 07.12.99 Joel Vandroogenbroeck wrote:
>
> Has anyone experienced any problems with the new
> version of Windows 98SE upgrade CD?
>
> There are going to be people from both sides of the issue posting to
> this one.
>
> I have 98 SE on my machine and I installed it on my older machine that
> Claudia (my loving wife) uses and she has experienced problems. The
> problems that have come up are "Blue Screen" things like vxd things and
> then there is the Norton issue with the NAVENG. The latter part is or
> may not be related.
>
> I subscribe to a news letter done by Fred Langa over at
> http://www.winmag.com There is an active discussion going on about this
> very subject.
>
> There are seven different flavors of "SE".
>
> Fred Langa wrote, in part:
> What's Up With Win 98 Second Edition?
>
> If you have or ever expect to get or use Win 98 SE, you need
> to read this!
>
> Win 98SE was supposed to fix a pile of minor problems. Why,
> then, are so many people having trouble with it? I've been
> getting a ton of reader mail about Win 98SE; lots of people
> are having trouble getting it installed and working
> correctly.
>
> If you are interested in following this discussion, you may zip over to
> http://www.winmag.com. If you find that the information is useful, you
> may want to subscribe to his newsletter at the same address. As Fred
> said, if we all pool our problems and solutions, we can over come this
> bloated giant.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html