From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 22:45:12 -0500
> I need to put a sound file recorded off the internet on to a CD. This
> file cannot be 'downloaded', it has to be 'played'. So, I use RealPlayer
> for that part. But I am not sure how to 'record' it directly on to the
> hard drive.  Right now, I am doing it the looong way - recording to a
> tape using a phono jack cable from the sound card to the tape machine,
> then playing/recording the sound back to the hard drive using Adaptec's
> Spin Doctor and then putting it on CD.
> I can't use Spin Doctor to record directly off the 'net because it only
> expects devices hooked up to the sound card.
> I guess, someone is probably going to respond and say - it's easy!

        Well there are three ways I know of doing this sort of thing. The first
(and simplest) is to use a full duplex sound card, and just recording the
output of the card. The second (in case you are interested) is to obtain a
sound card with a digital in and out. This would allow you to record the
output of the soundcard digitally (with an MD or DAT) and then play it back
digitally to the computer. This would not be any faster than the method you
currently use but the quality would be much better. Of course it would
require you to have digital recording capability. The second and probably
oddest solution for you would be to obtain a sound driver that doesn't
output to a sound card but instead writes directly to disk. I have never
actually seen one of these drivers, but I have heard of them and don't see
why they wouldn't be possible. If anybody has heard of this driver and knows
where one can obtain it I would love to know. Hope this helped, TTYL