From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 12:22:12 -0400
> Have new modem installed on COM3, when there are actually just COM1 and
> COM2. Does the fact that modem is installed on COM3 definitively state
> this is software modem?

        No, however the fact that it is new almost does. Almost all new modems are
software modems.

> Modem software says modem should be installed on IRQ5 or IRQ7. Modem
> installed on IRQ11. How can modem IRQ be changed to 5 or 7?

        I don't really see a need to install the modem at IRQ 5 or 7, it should
work fine with any unused IRQ (and possibly even a shared IRQ if it is a PCI
modem and the other device does not mind). Changing the IRQ of the modem
might be complicated, chances are you will have to change the setting in the
BIOS, however some BIOS's don't let you change the IRQ assigned to a slot.
This is of course assuming it is a PCI modem (most internals are). Hope this
helped, TTYL

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions