From:
"Paul A. Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 07:03:02 -0400
Greetings John & list--
----- Original Message -----
From: "John F. Matula" <[log in to unmask]>

> I am upgrading a hard drive in a Winbook LM laptop computer that has a
> swapable CDrom and Floppy (not hot swap).
>
> I have been able to install and format the hard drive, however I can't
> install W98 or ME operating system since the computer seems to be keep
> asking for the floppy A: drive. There should be a simple solution to this
> problem since a while back all laptops only had a CDrom or floppy, not
both
> at the same time.

John, on many computers that come with the OS pre-installed the installer
creates a folder called c:\windows\options\cabs on the hard disk.  The
installation
files are then copied from the CD to that location (creating appropriate
directories
along the way.  There is probably an xcopy switch that enables this, however
can't remember it at this time.).  Running setup from your hard disk
location is
faster than from a CD, and you can leave your floppy drive in the bay to
accept
drivers, etc. (though these also come more often on CDs these days).  An
added
benefit is that for those changes requiring you to "insert your Windows CD",
the
hard disk location, once known by the system, will also be far quicker.

hth,

Paul Shippert

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>