Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 20:21:19 +1000
It is all depending on what you do on your computer.  For most of people,
reformat is the only solution to get system back to normal.  I personaly
know a win98 (not SE) machine that has been running for 4 or 5 years, with
no bad crash ever, and perfectly stable (it is rebooted daily by the owner,
just to maintain the good condition) at all time.  What it does, is just to
recieve (and print) FAX by an good old software.  The machine is still
running, with no patch or any update ever.  The owner wants it to run
another 5 years untill the hardware "die" or we don't use FAX anymore.

However, if a PC is used daily by all different of tasks, with many of
software install/remove, endless patches ..., no matter how clean you try to
keep, there will always be a time that things can't keep up (my first
gaming/internet win98 PC lasted one and half years). the major problem is
"slow down", the second major problem is "instability" which will happen to
any windows PC after times.

Jun Qian