From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 19:40:33 -0700
Gregory A. Moyer wrote:

>Installed windows xp professional, when computer boots it goes to a screen
>that says select operating system windows xp pro or below it microsoft windows
>you can select either and hit enter.

This is common if your drive has been partioned.

> It also has a second counter counting down and it will load the os that is highlighted.

If you have two Operating systems installed, this is what is known as a
duel boot system.

> I formatted and partitioned the drive before install.

In this case, I am of the opinion that you formated  only one of the
partitions.

> It seems to think I have two os installed? How can i fix this?

When one of the Operating systems boot have you gone into "My Computer"
to see how many drives are there? Commonly, there should be the floppy,
C drive and CD drive. If you have a partioned hard drive, you should see
another drive like "D" or some such thing.

If you only want to have one drive, you need to boot to the DOS prompt
and type "FDISK" then choose option 4. This will list all of the
partitions on the drive. Much to my amazment, I did this on a clients
drive I built and found that the "C" drive was partitioned. By me? I
don't think so... Did my brain flatline again? Hmmm.

Anyway, if you only want one partition, you will have to delete the
others. If you want to re-partition the drive, you will have to delete
everthing and start from scratch. Not a bad thing really...

Sincerely,
Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: