From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:08:00 -0700
Richard

As far as I know, with laptops the video is onboard. Others may know of
laptops with separate video cards. Therefor, it can not be upgraded
without replacing the motherboard. An experienced tech might be able to
replace the  onboard video. It would probably make more economic sense
to replace the motherboard or the laptop. An external monitor could be
connected to determine if the laptop monitor or the video is the culprit
if there is a video problem. I'm not aware of the diagnostic procedures
of tech shops, but they probably use appropriate test equipment to
verify the output of each video pin.

The power supply is actually the battery which does give out with time
and needs to be replaced . I've read about time of service as 2 to 3
years depending on use, battery quality, and supplier. The AC supply is
transformed either in-line or internally. If needed, the AC supply line
can be easily replaced and a tech can probably replace an internal
component. Although it probably occurs, I've not heard of this part
being particularly prone to failure. The battery and the AC supply can
be tested through replacement or through testing with the appropriate
equipment.

RAM and hard drives can be checked the same as with a desktop. However,
an owner of a single laptop would not normally have extra RAM and an
extra hard drive for the laptop. BTW   RAM and internal hard drives for
laptops are not interchangeable with RAM and internal hard drives for
desktops.

An external monitor, keyboard and mouse can be connected to a laptop and
could be used for normal operation at a desk and/or could be used during
diagnostics.

Tom Mayer

Richard F. Bolha wrote:
> Hi Tom:
>
> <Laptops are more difficult to work on than desktops. However, with your
>
>> background, a magnification lamp, small tools and a very organized work
>> ethic, they are not that difficult. Do not buy a laptop with plans to
>> take it apart simply to do upgrades. Ram, CPU, and some drives are
>> relatively easy to upgrade by only removing a couple of screws so no
>> unusual technical abilities are necessary.
>>

> Ok, so let's says I think I have a video card problem with the laptop. On a
> desktop I would drop another video card from another unit in. If it does
> not work I may swap out the monitor and continue until I confirm the issue.
> How do I test a laptop? How does a laptop repair shop do it? Do they stock
> alot of new parts or just have alot of old stuff accumulated that works?
> The same question I would have about power supply,memory sticks,hard
> drives,Etc.Etc.
>
> Thanks
> Richard F. Bolha

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: