From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:14:53 -0400
I'd suggest going ahead and getting PC3200 memory from a reputable memory
maker, like Corsair, Mushkin, etc.  If you wanted to to be even more sure of
the brand, check the Asus website for this board, they'll show you a list of
memory modules that they've qualified with this board.  I believe some
memory distributors, such as Mushkin, will do the same from their end with
popular motherboards.

I suggest PC3200 because this motherboard officially supports bus speeds up
to 200 MHz.  Since you are going with the mobile version of the Athlon XP,
you'll likely need to run some bus speed other than 133 MHz, anyway.  Newegg
shows the clock speed of this chip as 1830 MHz on a 133 MHz (266 MHz) bus,
but I don't think that's exactly right.  Still the default multiplier will
be more than 12.5 (12.5 x 133 = 1662), and your motherboard won't know what
to make of that (most motherboards won't).  It probably will boot up to some
default fail safe setting, and you'll need to adjust the bus speed,
multiplier, and Vcore manually in order to get things right.  I'd suggest
something like 10 x 200 = 2000 MHz at 1.45v.  Might as well take advantage
of the processor's unlocked multiplier and the motherboard's support of a
200 MHz frontside bus.  Running your memory synchronously with this
frontside bus speed means you'll want PC3200 (DDR 400).

Although the Nvidia 400 Ultra supports dual channel memory, there's no
significant gain in this for the Athlon XP (unlike the Pentium 4); so, I'd
just get a single 512 MB DIMM, if this was the total amount of memory you
were planning on getting.  If do want make use of the dual channel feature,
you'll need to get a matching pair of modules.  You'll see that many
manufactures offer these dual channel kits that include two identical DIMMs.

John Sproule