From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 13:23:06 -0800
Kenneth Whyman:

> I have a question that fits in with this thread, but takes a slightly
> different tack. I am considering adding a second, small partition to my
> existing 3GB HDD for virtual memory, but the drive is already set up with
> one partition taking up the whole drive. Is there a way for me to resize
the
> current partition without destroying the data within, or am I doomed to
wipe
> my drive clean and start over? I'm currently running Win98SP1, not a full
> install of Win98SE, on a CTX AMD K6 233MMX, with 32 MB SDRAM. I'm also
> curious how big I should make the new partition. Thanx in advance for the
> help.

Hi, I use Partition Magic to resize partitions
without losing data. As far as size of your
swap file partition use the following formula:

     2.5 x (system ram) = swap file size (virtual memory)

In your case:
     2.5 x 32MB = 80MB

32MB is light for running Win98 as would be indicated
by heavy swap file dependency. You may rarely see
the benefit of your ram's burst speed because some of
your regularly accessed files will be loaded from your
swap file. 64MB is the minimum we add to a built system
for non-gamers and non-graphics enthusiasts.

The 2.5 multiplier is to ensure your virtual memory is large
enough to take the full contents of your physical ram and
still be able to task that memory especially after shutting
down improperly.
Supposedly, any more than 2.5x will contribute to performance
degradation as your swap file grows and eventually executes
files your physical ram use to. Heavy swap file access also
leads to increased fragmentation.

 -yui shin

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org