From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 11:03:44 -0800
--- George A Clark <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I am using Win98SE..Under Control Panel/System/Device
> Manager/Properties
> button/Interrup request (IRQ) my settings as thusly;
> 01..Creative Sound Blaster 16 Plug and Play
> 02..Standard Floppy Disk Controller
> 03..Creative Sound Blaster 16 Plug and Play
> 04..Direct Memory Access Controller
>
> Is something wrong with this picture. The reason I ask, is because
> sometimes my modem (PCI) causes my system to freeze up.

These are very standard DMA settings. Take a look at your IRQ list,
which numbers from 00 - 15 (in most cases). Your PCI modem is probally
sharing an IRQ. Since you're using a PCI modem and Win98SE it may be
best to remove the device and drivers, then reinstall to another PCI
slot.

Generally, I would install a PNP modem in the slot furthest from the
processor to net a low IRQ on most Win98SE systems. Sound card next,
then network card or other, and top off with video. The further a PCI
slot is from the processor the higher the impedance. Consequentially,
you would then place your high priority devices such as video closest
(such as PCI 01).

On the newer PIII/Win98SE based systems this method has worked conflict
free and (sometimes) greatly improved network and modem performance.

Just a recap of the above for visual purposes.

IRQ STATUS               DEVICE
    11                  AGP Video            AGP
shared slot      PCI Video or Accelerator    PCI01
    10           PCI Network Card or Other   PCI02
   5 & 9              PCI Sound Card         PCI03
     3                  PCI Modem            PCI04

If you have built in sound, video, etc. IRQ's may have to be reserved
in BIOS to acquire the favorites.

Please note the above is an example of what I personally consider ideal
and may vary greatly depending on your configuration. Also, some
motherboards do not use PCI01 as the head of the bussing chain. Shared
slots is another issue that varies dependinding on the board.

The main point to emphasize is to install devices based on access
priority whenever possible.

Woops, didn't mean to get so deep rooted with the topic.
Hope some of this helps resolve your modem problem.

-yui shin

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org