From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 06:39:31 -0600
At 02:42 PM 05/31/2000 , Daniel Leung wrote:
>Hi fellow builder:
>
>Does anyone happen to come across an universal software modem driver that can at least
>get a software modem working so a proper driver can be downloaded.
>It would be very handy when setting up client computers in the field, I think. Do you
>people use a different procedure or carry around a list of popular modem driver with you
>when you work on-site.

I am not going to tell you that such a driver does not exist, but I have grave
doubts that you will ever find one.   The reason is that drivers are based on
the chipset found on the modem and there are numerous such chips out there
and they seem to change from day to day.  I cannot believe such a driver
would exist and I have never seen such an animal.

Finding and installing the driver for modems is one of the most difficult jobs
of any tech in the field, even for a tech with the system in their shop.  Often
if the client has lost the drivers disk that accompanied the system and it is
going to be a big job hunting down the drivers, it is cheaper for the client to
just replace the modem...  often simple Winmodems purchased OEM are less
than an hour's time for the tech...  a nasty way to solve the issue, but it is
cheaper to replace an oddball modem than hunt for hours for the drivers.

     Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html