From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 2008 11:19:56 -0400
The main issue in terms of compatability between your computer and a video
card is to know whether it accepts AGP or PCI-E video cards.  The second
question would be what power rating is for your Power Supply (and
secondarily whether it has a PCI-E video card power cable).  Is this a
mid-sized tower or a mini-tower?  What video card is currently in this
computer?

Since I don't know enough about what your limitations are, I'll simply make
some general comments at this point.  ATI/AMD and Nvidia have both released
a number of new video cards selling in the $150-$250 range, making this
market very competitive, now.  The AMD cards are the 3850 and the 3870,
Nvidia's new cards are the 8800GT, 8800GTS 512mb (not the earlier 320mb and
640mb models), and the 9600GT.

Review sites like Anandtech have quite a bit of information on these cards.
They all require a PCI-E video card power connector, however, since they
draw more power than can be supplied through the motherboard slot.

8800GT: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3140
3850 & 3870: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3151
9600GT: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3234
And, Tom's Hardware has some video card comparison charts:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/graphics-cards/warhammer-mark-of-chaos-v1-6,581.html

With these newer video card, you may find that your system bottleneck
becomes your CPU, especially at lower resolutions.  Sometimes trying to
upgrade an older, inexpensive computer from makers like Dell and HP is not
worth the trouble and the expense.  The money could be put to better use
starting over.  Often, these systems were never intended to be a game
machines, and they have very limited headroom for upgrading.

John Sproule