From:
Jerry Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 22:16:45 -0400
Hi everyone,

I have a PC that not only will not boot, but does absolutely nothing when
power is applied.  The PC consists of the following:
Asus P5A motherboard
AMD K6-2 366MHz CPU (not overclocked)
128 MB SDRAM DIMM (PC100)
Matrox Millenium II AGP video with 8 MB WRAM
56K Lucent Tech modem (PCI)
40X Asus CD-ROM (master on secondary EIDE channel)
1.44MB FDD
10.1 GB Western Digital EIDE DMA 33 HD (master on primary IDE channel)
Linksys 100/10 Etherlink network card
Adaptec SCSI controller with only a Ricoh MP 6200S CD-RW attached.

FSB is set to 66.8 MHz and the clock multiplier set to 5.5x
One day the computer was working perfectly, the next it just sat there like
a boat anchor.
I have checked the conductivity on the softboot switch, it is OK.
I replaced the ATX 235W power supply.
I removed each card from the PC, one at a time, and applied power after each
card was removed.  The last card I removed was the video.  I disconnected
the hard disk and FDD.  I then removed the memory and tried to start it, and
finally the CPU.  In no case, did any fan or LED make any attempt to move or
flicker.  Nada.

Any suggestions before I yank the motherboard.  This PC is only 6 months old
and is usually turned off.

TIA
Gerald Rasmussen
Rasmussen & Bucklin Associates