From:
Rick Swartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 17:33:43 +0200
on Wednesday, August 04, 1999 11:13 PM you wrote:

> I have just heard of the Abit BP-6 board which is a dual Celeron
> motherboard.

> Most importantly, how do you rate the performance?

Bill this depends highly on what OS you're going to be using. Win NT and
LINUX both support multiple processors. Win95/98 doesn't. To put it even
more plainly: If you use a dual processor board with Win95/98 you'll find
your sysem SLOWER than a system using one processor at the same speed. Why?
Overhead caused by memory, PCI and other I/O activities is higher on a dual
CPU system and you have no benefit from the second CPU. It does nothing but
produce heat(nice if you live in a cold climate though). NT does use the
second CPU but only programs that use multi threading (Adobe Photoshop) will
actually see a big speed increase. Ask yourself 'Which OS am I going to use,
and which applications am I going to be using'. If you were planning to use
this as a gaming machine under Win95/98, you won't be doing yourself a
favor, even if you do get win95/98 running stable with this board. You might
have a bit more luck using Win2000, but that's a big 'might'. If you're
planning to use this as a server: No way. This board just isn't stable
enough to rely on it 24/7. Just my $.02

--
Rick S.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: