From:
Les Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:21:22 -0500
I have been following these conversations with interest and want to throw in
my 2¢. The case does not have to be at earth ground. What matters is not the
potential of the case but the difference in potential between the case and
the chip. Theoretically, the case could be at 30,000 volts and if the memory
was chip was also at 30,000 volts there would be no problem. This, of
course, is extreme but true. Just as you can hang from an overhead 30,000v
line without being hurt although you are 30,000 volts abovr ground
potential. (Don't try to climb down, though).

I always rest my bare arm on the case or power supply if convenient, remove
the chip from its anti-static packing and install it without removing my
arm. This is with the computer unplugged from the wall of course. No
difference in potential, no spark can be generated, no problem.

Ciao,

Les Barnes

---
Virus Database (VPS): 12/30/2003