From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:43:32 -0500
From: "Hugh"
> I've heard good things about Ranish partition manager,
> but have never used it.
> http://www.snapfiles.com/get/ranish.html

Question was:
>> Can anyone recommend a way to resize an existing NTFS partition on a SATA
>> drive without destroying the data?  Cheaper options are preferred.

This has never supported NTFS, and on other file systems it will
not move data if the data is "in the way"... (Since data is "~always~"
in the way, it can't "generally" re-size the way you want unless
you can move the data "out of the way" yourself (somehow).
What the above means is that if there is data at the end of a disk,
the partition can NOT be made smaller because the data is "in the way"...

Their is a long and drawn-out "workaround" of doing a little at a time
by doing a juggling act, but unless conditions are right for that it
will not work either...

                              Rick Glazier

           The NOSPIN Group is now accepting donations to help
          defer the costs of providing PCBUILD and our website.
           Visit http://freepctech.com to donate using PAYPAL