From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2008 13:22:04 +1000
Tom wrote:
>Have heard the 64 bit and quad processor is a hedge against future
>technology but that some older and current programs do not work well. The
>32 bit and dual is a sure bet but may be outdated sooner than the 64 bit.>>

Most of the computer journal reports I've come across seem to agree with
that conclusion.

But it's one thing to be a tech writer operating in a perfect environment,
and another to be living in the real world.

I suspect that your choice of motherboard would be critical if you want to
get out there with Dean on the cutting edge ----- there's still a fair bit
of development work needed before the new technology settles down. (Exactly
what the first caveman was told when he picked up the first axe).

So it comes down to your choice (and the size of your wallet). Ride the
rocket to the stars and suffer the slings of capricious fortune, or play
safe and regret it later. There's no easy answer.

A lot hinges on whether you intend to build yourself, or whether to
purchase ready-made. Purchasing ready-made from a good builder (not
necessarily the big brands, but from a local well-established shop) should
ensure a minimum of trouble if the model has been tested in the market for
a little while. After all, makers don't want the hassle of their machines
coming back on them.

Maybe have a look at what Dell etc are offering, and use that as a
guideline if you decide to go 4-core. (But I'm not sure whether they use
their own proprietary mobos).

Don Penlington

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml