From:
Brendon Schafer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:42:53 +0200
I haven't seen any responses to this question, so I'll try to get the ball
rolling with my 2 cents.

These 2 are not exactly maintenance, but they should be compulsory.
And sometime I will also practise what I preach (point 1).
1) No eating and drinking of anything near the computer. Chips (Crisps) are
the worst as is coffee.
2) no cats near the computer

Hardware
1) Scandisk and Defrag at least once a month
2) make sure that the area around the computer is well ventilated
3) CD ROM drive is not a coffee cup holder
4) Clean the mouse regularly
5) Switch off all PC components during an electric storm. Preferably unplug
the whole lot.
6) sure there are tons of tweeks and over-clocking tips available, some of
which I prefer to
ignore.
7) Shut down the machine and only switch off when you are prompted to.

Software
1) Keep the Anti-Virus software updated at least once a month, preferably
once a week or daily
2) Do not download something if you do not know what it is.
3) Do not open an executable file from an email. Save it to disk first, scan
for viruses, then preferably
delete it, but if you must open it first do this before deleting.
4) do not delete the Windows Directory.
5) Do not delete any file in the windows directory or in Program Files
unless you know what it is
6) Clear out the deleted items folder
7) Clean out the IE history folder (to clear evidence) from time to time.
8) Clean out the Temp folder.
9) Keep the service packs updated. (OS and apps).

General
1) I guess if I am looking at this list again, I'd have to add the most
important tip
and that is education. Especially if I'm looking through this list. Most of
these
things are obvious to me, but they may not be to a regular end user who just
wants
the thing to work.
2) I haven't said anything about modems, printers, scanners etc. Perhaps if
you need tips
on these and other peripherals some on else could advise.
3) If you are a developer obviously other tips come in here as well, but
those tips I guess
belong on another list. Although KISS (Keep it Simple, Stupid) applies.

Once you've got a comprehensive list and compiled it, would you mind sharing
it with this list serve?

BTW what is a VISTA?

Good luck

Brendon